Wednesday, March 23, 2011

In need

"Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me." - Matthew 25:40

This seems to be our theme this last week. The poor can seem so far away sometimes in our culture of abundance. We were just talking with some friends about helping the poor, and then as we went out on errands Saturday were approached by a poor man asking for help. It is sad how tempting it can be to turn away from people like that. "They will just use the money for drugs" or "I have my kids in the car...what if they try to do something to us". Thanks to the Holy Spirit, after seeing him rummaging in the dumpster, we took the opportunity and gave him what little cash we had which brought tears to his eyes. It has bee so beautiful to see the effect of this action on the children. They have been talking about and praying for the poor more than ever this week. Then, our reading lesson today had a story about this exact thing. St. Martin cut his cloak in half for the poor man freezing in his rags, even though he was chided by his friends. Thank you, Lord, for this message to our family!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It's so true, Kristen. I always worry they will use the money for drugs, but that's not our concern.

Julia said...

Thanks for posting this, Kristen. I wish we were all more aware of this on a DAILY basis. We make an appoint to bring fruit and water bottles whenever we're in Houston, and we take every opportunity to give to the people we see in need while driving. The kids ask such good, important questions and these experiences get their minds wrapped around charity. Children pick up our attitudes and adopt our opinions without us even noticing, I think it's so important to give them the chance to see the world for what it is - unjust - without telling them "what to think."

I wish...wish with all my heart we had more visible ways to help in College Station. We have poverty here too - people just don't see it.

Sorry, this is 4 years of being in social ministry coming out here. :) Thank you for posting this, what a beautiful account of a special moment, I know the kids will remember this always!

Kelle said...

Sweet story! Here in the DC area we see beggars everywhere. In fact, there is one particular guy we pass every morning on the way to Mass. So I keep granola bars in my car and hand them out. The man we pass on the way to Mass is probably sick to death of the crazy lady handing out granola bars, but I do think it is teaching the children something. Isaac always points him out as "There's one of God's poor." Hannah asks me if I have anything to give someone she sees on the days that I don't act first. Teaching by example is the best way.

Pie Mama’s said...

Thanks for this post. It can be so discouraging to think of what might happen when we help people, but we do have to push that away & give. This past year, I've prayed especially hard those who work daily in social ministries who constantly have to seek renewal from God to sustain them in their work.