Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Back in the Saddle

Sort of. Not so long after my post Friday, I became very ill. By the time Austin made it home from work, I had fever, chills, headache, body ache and an upset stomach so bad that powerade went right through. And I had a 7 week old baby to care for. Yikes. Sound like the flu? YES, we did get the flu shot. I am not a fan of giving 7 different vaccines to a 2 month old at one time, but they do have their purpose. And I consider the flu vaccine necessary in a household with multiple germ breeders (aka small children). But somehow mine didn't work or maybe it was some other virus. Who knows. But my sweet, amazing husband spent the entire weekend caring for a very sick wife, 4 children, and a baby as much as possible. He.Was. Amazing. And just when we were all being stretched to the point of breaking, God stepped in. Austin dressed and fed 4 children and hauled them to mass Sunday morning all by himself. Several hours after they returned, as he was trying to juggle all of his new responsibilities, including investigating safe medications online for a desperate breastfeeding mommy living on powerade, and sporting the baby in my Moby wrap (am I allowed to tell that?) the phone rang. It was Mrs. P, whom we see every Sunday morning at mass and who frequently tells me what an adorable little face Stephen has (and of course I agree!). We have known she and her husband for years. In fact, they were at our wedding and are just an amazing older couple. She noticed I was missing and called to see if I was sick. As soon as Austin told her she insisted on bringing us a meal. When he asked her why she said in her sweet southern belle accent, "I had five children and I know what it is like when the mother is sick." What a huge relief! God is good. (All the time!). This allowed Austin a little bit of rest in the afternoon and time to care for me and the baby. It was just what we needed. And what a meal...it was Christmas dinner! Ham, green bean casserole, cheesy potato casserole, bread, cookies and chocolate covered strawberries. She has been in my prayers ever since! I am finally able to eat somewhat normal food today, and Austin is home while I try to build my strength back up to normal levels. It is definitely Lent and reminds me a lot of the start to our Lent when Stephen was a baby! I try to post mostly the positive aspects of family life here, but I also want to be honest. Someday when I am old and feeble reading this thinking, "What was so hard about that?" I will have my answer. And maybe I can just bless some young family as we have been blessed! Thanks be to God for His goodness and mercy!
I love this little face!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh, Kristen! Yuck! I remember getting a stomach bug when C was about 8 weeks old. NOT fun!!! I am glad you are feeling better.

Rich said...

I don't remember Austin telling me you were so sick when we saw him at Mass.

Next time call us if you need help. My goodness, an opportunity to help out was wasted there. Shame on you ;-)

Mary said...

Oh Kristen! So sorry to hear how poorly you were feeling! If we had known, we certainly would have wanted to help. So glad you are feeling better, & thankful for Mrs. P, too. What a godsend!