Sunday, August 5, 2007

Reflecting...

Something in the homily today about "vanity of vanities" in this world reminded me of one of my favorite scripture verses as a mommy. I believe we had it in the Sunday gospel several weeks ago.

It is from the Gospel of Matthew "the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

There are those times as a mother that I find myself whining in my head..."Why is it I have to get up ten times during dinner fetching a replacement fork for one that was dropped, getting the ketchup, refilling juice cups, etc. or when folding the laundry, or any other of the tasks that sometimes seems to go unnoticed but consume so much of my time and energy. I love that quote because when I think of it I am reminded that this is one way in which I can unite my vocation to the Son of Man. For a mother's role really is to serve, not to be served and to give her life (aka the lucrative career, the quiet lunch at a quaint restaurant with friends and adult conversation, the full night's sleep with no interruptions) as a ransom for the many, that is the family. When I recall this, it rejuvinates me in the little sacrifices that I am called to offer for my family. I am so thankful for those reminders!

1 comment:

Hinckley said...

Thanks, Kristen, for that reflection. It's always encouraging to know about others' same struggles and inspiring to be reminded of the sactifying work in it all. Tell Austin hi for us. We'll be in town for a wedding on Aug. 19th...well, that is if the baby comes soon and we're ready to make that drive.