Tuesday, December 22, 2009

His Story

His Birth
Either our little guy is very laid back or a little stubborn, as he was the first baby we had to induce! What a new experience! We arrived at the hospital at 5am, and after much nervous waiting and praying (they are super busy before Christmas), we started Oxytocin/Pitocin around 7am, which I seem to be immune to. They upped the dose several times, and at 9am I still was not having productive contractions, so they broke my water. That sure worked! Hard labor kicked in, and little Stephen practically zoomed out a few hours later with only a few hard pushes. We were so glad to finally meet him! And what a cutie. He has a sweet little round face and looks so chubby to me at 9lbs! So he now holds the family record for the biggest and the latest baby! He just had to be unique!

His Name
Stephen
Saint Stephen was a deacon in the early church and the first martyr, dying courageously for the name of Jesus. Stephen was also the name of my late maternal grandfather who was a pillar of strength and faithfulness to my mother and her family.
Benedict
Saint Benedict was the founder of Western Monasticism, twin to St. Scholastica (we believe baby Stephen may have originally had a twin due to another amniotic sac which gradually shrunk and miscarried). St. Benedict left his inheritance to follow Christ and is known as the patron saint of a happy death because he died with a smile on his face and hands outstretched to Heaven. Benedict is also the name of our current Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI!

9 comments:

Alexis D. said...

yea! congrats! welcome little Stephen!

Teresa said...

We can't wait to meet his and see all your family, sometime soon I hope :)

Love, Teresa

Teresa said...

We can't wait to meet him and see all of you soon, I hope :)

Blessings!
Teresa

Blair said...

Congratulations R family and welcome to baby Stephen! We love the name! So glad that everything went smoothly. Enjoy your big Christmas gift! I remember so well 2 years ago with our newborn Steven; such a special Christmas!

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations! I am so glad everything went so well. I will check back for some pictures.

Jennifer said...

You all have been in our prayers. We are so happy for you all and glad everything went well. Blessings.

Julia said...

Four children, oh my oh my oh my!!!! :) CONGRATULATIONS, so exciting you guys!!! And baby Stephen is unique in every way! :) So sweet! We love the name Stephen too, my Dad was named after St. Stephen and my brother as well, so we hope to bear the tradition at some point too. Hope to see you soon and more pics too!

Lillian said...

Congratulations!!! He's just beautiful!! Happy Babymoon!

Kelle said...

Oh yea! I was so happy to read that everything went well! I am glad the labor was short at least and so happy he didn't go above that 9lbs! Remember my prayer! You SO do not want to deliver a 10lb 4 oz baby naturally if you can avoid it, trust me! :) Thank God he is happy, healthy, loved, and here finally! Merry Christmas!