Thursday, December 22, 2016

Gingerbread cookies

Stephen wanted to decorate gingerbread cookies for his birthday, but I wasn't sure I could handle such a project. I decided to try my best, so I made the dough ahead of time. Then the night before, right after dinner, I showed Allia how to roll out the dough, and they all took turns cutting their cookies with no help from me! We put them in the oven, and they cleaned up as they did after dinner chores. It was a proud mommy moment for me as I sat nursing the baby and watching them work together. Despite the brief flour throwing fight which I quickly nipped in the bud, it went so smoothly!
Yesterday after breakfast I again made the icing and set them off on decorating. It was a mess again, but we alll enjoyed the finished product as well as the process, and eventually it was  all cleaned up!

No comments: